Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tiny Houses


I was unfamiliar with the tiny house concept until a couple weeks ago. Per the usual, I was on my sofa watching HGTV’s Design Star and the challenge was to decorate a tiny house.   When I saw one for the first time, it reminded me of my nieces’ playhouse.  Au contraire!  With fully functioning kitchen & baths, these houses can fit full grown adults and all their essentials.  Notice, I said essentials.  The whole concept of these tiny houses, built by Jay Shafer, is that everything has multiple purposes.  With limited room (from 60 to 600 square feet) you have to seriously maximize your space. 

This idea really intrigued me.  Just a few days ago I wrote a blog post devoted to pieces that are overflowing with function.  Things that pull double duty.  Now this episode airs all about getting the most out of your small space.  I loved it!  In fact, I loved it so much that I told my husband if anything ever happened to him the dog and I would live in a tiny house.  His reaction was one of concern.  I seemed to like these houses just a little too much and he wondered if he should fear for his safety.  Once I alleviated those fears, all was well. 

But seriously, what a unique concept in a time where bigger is always better and we feel the “need” to have so much.  I really love the overall message derived from these houses- slow down, live within your means, and less is more.  Sometimes my most rewarding projects for clients are the ones that are limited in space and creativity has a huge role in how to make them function well. 

Click here for more info on Tiny Houses.  There is a wealth of information and seminars available to educate people on these homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment