Thursday, March 8, 2012

Murals Add Signifcance


A few months back I was rummaging through some books at my grandparents house.  I ran across a Better Homes & Gardens Decorating Book from 1961.  What a treasure it is!  While trends have changed, the basic concepts found in this 400 page book stand the test of time.


One of the suggestions given was using murals to dress up a space.  It is a misconception that murals are meant only for children's rooms.  Some of the most elegant dining rooms I have been in contained a hand-painted wall mural depicting a hunt scene.  Think about restaurants that use murals to create ambiance.  O'Charley's is painted with items of local significance, Logan's mural places you in a saloon.


One of my clients wanted to create a Tuscan feel in her kitchen.  She had a blank wall that screamed out for attention.  I painted a stone niche with various elements in it to evoke that Tuscan feel she desired.  Most recently I was in a workout facility that has a wall mural of a canyon.  It served as scenery to let those using the facility feel less contained.

All of the examples I shared were spaces used mostly by adults. Wall paintings don't have to be cartoonish.  When used appropriately, a mural can push out the walls of a room and make the space feel larger.

1 comment:

  1. with a large variety of unique and creative works of art, we promise to deliver superb, distinctive designs that will exquisitely adorn your space. nature wall murals wallpaper

    ReplyDelete