Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trading Misery


I used to be an avid watcher of TLC’s “Trading Spaces” when it was on TV 10+ years ago.  I drew a lot of inspiration from those designers, but I was always disheartened when the homeowner would specify the ONE thing they did not want to see in the room and yet that was exactly what they received as the finished product.  Yes, I am aware that shock factor and TV ratings played into what was done on the show.  However, my opinion of the design profession is that they should remain true to the client’s needs, likes and wants.  I can’t tell you how many people I’ve chatted with who were scared to employ a designer because they feared she (or he) would not listen to them.  They were afraid their home would turn into the next outrageous magazine spread and no longer reflect who they are.  While that is discouraging to hear about some of my colleagues, I can say that not everyone works that way.  There are professionals who listen more than they speak; who spin a room around you, not themselves; and who desire no more accolades than the ones their client’s smiles provide.  Seek those people and you will love the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment