Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Splash Of Color







It is amazing what a little paint can do for a space! Last week, I completed a faux finish that completely transformed the room (of course, I forgot to take pics). The room was a soft off-white when I first met the client, but he wanted an old world look that involved warmth and varying shades to create an uneven look on the walls. The space is large, so we used Sherwin Williams Compatible Cream for the base coat and for the glaze we were able to go a little darker with Sherwin Williams Golden Fleece. Now when you look into the hallway, which still has the off-white color on its walls, you realize what a cool (in temperature) shade that was. It didn't help evoke the old world feel that the client wanted.

My point is that paint is the simplest and least expensive way to dramatically change the overall appearance of a space. Look at the photos above, the change of color in each space completely transforms the feel you get about the room. Typically when I see a white wall I think about rental spaces- unwelcoming, cold and sterile. Greens and blues, by definition are good colors to use in bathrooms to produce a spa-like feel. But remember, color means something different to everyone. There are the cliche meanings for every color, but it doesn't always mean that is how YOU will feel about it. Keep that in mind when selecting a color- it needs to suit you, your space and your lighting (if you don't get a lot of natural light, be careful not to go too dark).

If you don't feel comfortable selecting the color yourself, get some professional advice. I have a great paint deck that I work with on EVERY color consult I do. I have it broken down according to the color wheel and can easily coordinate a paint color with other items in a client's space. (Notice I said coordinate, not MATCH. Everything in the room does not have to match exactly).

I could go on for days about this one, but I won't. Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment