Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Leaf Plans


Growing up we had two giant oak trees in our yard- one in the front of the house and one directly behind.  We never had a shortage of leaves to rake.  My friends and I liked to get creative and see what formations we could make.   One day we came up with the idea of creating a floor plan out of the fallen leaves.  We mimicked the concept of a bird’s eye view builder plan and used the whole yard to create our massive house.  We were very thorough leaving openings to act as doorways (you can’t just walk through walls, of course).  For authenticity, I spray-painted the image of a front door on the trunk of the oak tree in the backyard.  At the time, I didn’t know that spray paint wouldn’t wash off the next time it rained.  We spent hours in the yard after school changing the color of our bathroom, choosing where the sofa sat in the living room and lying on our beds made from leaves reading our favorite books.  Our imaginations ran wild.

My love for creating beautiful homes, runs deep.  Memories like this one are why I love Fall so much.  It is the season that seemed to influence me more than any other when it comes to designing.  

Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment